Manor House Adult Day Program
The Manor House Adult Day Program, funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, is a social and recreational day program for older adults who are living with Alzheimer Disease or a related dementia. Located in the beautiful Manor House, the program is designed to provide a safe comfortable environment for clients to spend the day socializing and participating in recreational and leisure activities that are structured to meet the needs of individuals living with memory impairment, while providing caregivers and families a day of respite.
What is the day program?
- An inviting comfortable place for clients to spend the day
- An opportunity to socialize, participate in recreational and leisure activities, enjoy a movie or listen to music, or bake your favorite cookies
- A safe environment, with a program of activities structured to meet the needs of individuals with memory impairment
By attending the Manor House Adult Day Program clients will have the opportunity to use remaining skills and abilities. They will have the opportunity to make new friendships, boost their sense of self-worth, have a sense of belonging, and maintain a sense of identity and purpose. Clients can gain support from others who may be going through similar experiences. The basic needs for all people - intimacy, meaningful activity and community - are met.With consistent respite, caregivers will have the opportunity to rejuvenate and regain emotional composure, and hence, rededicate themselves to their care giving roles. Their health and friendships can be maintained longer so they do not become isolated. This will keep their lives balanced. Caregivers can do others tasks they have been putting off. Utilizing the Manor House Adult Day Program may be one of the first steps in accepting help in care giving.
Who is eligible to attend the program?
The Manor House Adult Day Program is open to individuals:
- Who have a diagnosis of Alzheimer disease or related dementia
- Who reside in Thunder Bay or surrounding municipalities.
- Who would benefit from opportunities for socialization, leisure, and recreational activities that link them to the community.
- Whose families/caregivers may benefit from short-term respite care.
What are the hours of operation?
Flexible hours are available for individuals who require our service until 5:00 pm. The Day Program is closed on Statutory Holidays
What is the cost of the program?
$24.00 CAD/ Day - includes a noon meal, snacks and covers the cost of craft projects. (Subject to review)
What additional services do we offer?
The Manor House Adult Day Program also includes a Home Support program that provides in-home assessments, support and counseling to participants and caregivers, support meetings, assistance to access other support services, and an equipment loan cupboard which includes assisted devices and educational materials.
What are the program goals?
The program's goal is to support individuals so they may remain in their home as long as possible and prevent premature admission to Long Term Care by:
- Providing caregivers and/or family members respite and support
- Maximizing strengths and abilities, and improving the daily living experience of individuals with memory loss.
How do I register for the program?
All referrals are coordinated through CCAC (Community Care Access Centre) of Thunder Bay.